Wednesday 7 November 2012

Going with the flow

I made a conscious effort to hang out with Freddie today.  Writing that down, I feel bad that it is even worth commenting on.  Surely that's what I do every day?  Well, yes and no.  I play, I provide food, I read words to help him in his games on the Wii and the laptop.  I chat, answer questions, laugh at jokes.  But it's not been enough, or not quite right.
I took some washing up to put away in his room, and he was watching a Christmas DVD Betsy has picked up in the library yesterday.  I watched it while I sorted the laundry, and when I was finished I sat and watched the rest of it with him.  It was lovely.
Later, he asked me to play him at Dinosaur Strike on the Wii.  He thrashed me of course, and it was another lovely moment in our day.
We were due to go to our home ed group this afternoon, but everyone seemed so relaxed and happy that I was unwilling to clock watch and get us out of the door on time.
Instead, Betsy built a castle from a kit I got at Wilkos the other day.
I'd also bought a cool looking build-a-skeleton kit and asked if they wanted to have a go.  It would be about the same size as Betsy!  They both said no, so I'll put it back in the cupboard to strew another day.  
Freddie peeled a hard boiled egg that I was having for a snack, and he used the shell as the base of a rather grusome concoction of water, food colouring, washing up liquid, milk, an egg, various spices, lemon juice and other items he found in the kitchen.  He spent ages on it.  The kitchen is very aromatic!
There was a gorgeous sunset today.  Betsy spotted it and took some photos on my phone, while I took some with my camera.  Freddie came back from Jarvis's to tell us about it, and Meg loved the colours.  I told mum about it and she said that her grandchildren appreciate beautiful things.  She's right, and it was a lovely thing for her to say.
The other thing of note is that Meg is starting to use the potty.  Hooray!  I don't think it will be too long before I have no children in daytime nappies.

No comments:

Post a Comment