Thursday 12 June 2014

Best laid plans...

Today was going to be awesome!  Meeting up with friends at the splash park, where the council have just added a temporary 'beach', and taking nets to see what we could find in the nearby stream.  The weather forecast was perfect.

But...it was not to be.  Fred woke very early with a tummy upset.  So, I cancelled our plans.  I needed some food - we were out of milk, bread etc.  Fred understandably wanted to stay at home.  I put my mobile number on the speed dial of the landline, showed Fred how to use it, and popped out for 15 minutes with Betsy and Meg.  I haven't done this before.  I won't make a habit of it - he is only just 9 - but it's helpful to have the option in a tight spot.

A day at home then.  The paddling pool was stuck behind a load of stuff in the shed of doom, but the sprinkler hopscotch was accessible.



Betsy wanted to paint a log that she'd found yesterday, so I gave her a washing up bowl full of soapy water and a couple of sponges.  Betsy and Meg scrubbed the log and left it to dry. Then we got the paint out.  They both had a big cardboard box to paint, as well as the log.



Unsurprisingly, they soon started painting themselves!



One of those little home ed/unschooling nuggets fell into my lap today.  Fred was looking at the birthday card from my parents.  It's a shark one, and when you open it a pop up shark head opens it's mouth with lots of sharp spiky teeth.  He said 'why do so many birthday cards have bad puns?  This one says "have a fintastic birthday."  It's so bad!'

I'm still pleasantly surprised when he casually reads something to me, and I know that he knows about puns, but I felt a lovely warm glow with that one simple observation.

4 comments:

  1. 'The shed of doom' made me laugh - we have one of those too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The painting looks fun. Funny how skin is better than paper or cardboard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about the upset tummy but it looks as though lots of fun was had in the end! The pun comment was lovely and I totally understand why it made you so happy:)
    Thanks for linking up to this weeks # homeedlinkup

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sprinkler hopscotch! That looks SO fun!

    ReplyDelete